1870 - beginning of coal mining in Serbia, in the pit Stari Kostolac. Đorđe Vajfert was the owner of the mine. Due to investments into exploration of mineral resources of Serbia, his name entered the history of Serbian mining. The Monument in Honour of Miners from Kostolac today stands in the place of the pit.
1884 - The first electrical illumination was introduced in Serbia in the section of Military Technical Office in Kragujevac, the merits belonging to engineer Todor Selesković. He was the first constructor of machines in Serbia and he constructed the first water turbine in Serbia.
1892 – Nikola Tesla visited Belgrade, for the first and only time. The citizens of Belgrade, but also people from all over Serbia prepared to him a memorable welcome.
1893 – The first public power plant in Serbia was put into operation – it was thermal power plant located at Dorćol in Belgrade. Physics professor, Đorđe Stanojević was the most meritorious for that and the beginning of electrification of Serbia is associated with his name, as well - thanks to him, hydro power plants “Pod gradom”, “Vučje”, “Gamzigrad”, etc. were also put into operation. 6th October, the day of commissioning of the Dorćol thermal power plant, is considered to be the Day of the Electric Power Industry of Serbia.
1894 – Đorđe Stanojević published the work “Nikola Tesla and His Inventions”. It was the first book about Tesla in Serbia and the second one in the world.
1896 - beginning of coal exploitation in the pit “Tvrdojevac”, in Kolubara. For a long time in Kolubara pits, the coal wagons were pulled by - horses!
1900 – hydro power plant „Pod gradom“ in Užice on Djetinja river started operating, as the first power plant in Serbia based on Tesla’s principles of alternating current, only four years after the start of operation of the hydro power plant at Niagara Falls. The hydro power plant is still in operation.
1903 – hydro power plant “Vučje“, located in a village of the same name on Vučjanka, started operating. The first transmission line in Serbia, 17km length, was built from the power plant “Vučje“ to Leskovac. The power plant is still in operation.
1908 – beginning of power generation in hydro power plant “Sveta Petka”, on Nišava River, near Niš. The power plant is still operating today, producing kilowatt hours.
1909 – Hydro power plant “Gamzigrad” on Timok River, near Zaječar, was built. It is still operating today.
1911- Hydro power plant “Moravica“, on the river of the same name, in Ivanjica, was put into operation. It is out of operation at the moment.
1928 - Hydro power plant “Jelašnica”, on the river of the same name, near Vranje, was put into operation. It is still operating today.
1931 - Hydro power plant “Sićevo” was put into operation. It is located few kilometers downstream from the older HPP “Sveta Petka” on Nišava River. It still produces electric energy
1932 – Thermal power plant “Snaga i Svetlost” was built in Belgrade. It was one of the largest power plants in the Balkans at that time. It was in operation until 1967.
1937 – The company “Elektro-Makiš” built thermal power plant in Vreoci, that represented the backbone of Serbian electric power system of the time. Installed energy capacity of the thermal power plant was 12 MW. The coal needed for its operation was exploited at the pit “Junkovac”.
1943 – “Kostolac” the first open-cast mine in Serbia was opened. After the Second World War it had a significant role in the industrialization of the country, training of the staff and the implementation of new technology in the coal production. The mine was closed in 1980.
1948 – The first hydro power plant built after the Second World War was HPP “Sokolovica” on Timok River, near Čokonjara
1948 - “Mali Kostolac” started operating. Mechanical equipment: turbines, generators and boilers, were brought from the old power plant in Belgrade (1893), partially reconstructed and installed in this thermal power plant.
1952 – Open-Cast Mine “Kolubara” was put into operation. By including Field A in regular production, the major manufacturing cycle in the coal production began.
1954 - Hydro power plants “Ovčar banja” i “Međuvršje” on Morava River, near Čačak, were put into operation.
The first kilowatt-hours of electric energy in HPPs “Vlasinske HE” were produced, which then represented a third of the total energy production in Serbia.
1955 – Hydro power plant “Zvornik”, aka “firstling on Drina River”, was put into operation.
1956 – TPP “Kolubara A” was put into operation in Veliki Crljani. Today it represents the oldest active thermal power plant in EPS.
Coal exploitation in the Open-Cast Mine “Kosovo” began.
1960/1967 - HPP “Bistrica”, HPP “Kokin Brod” and HPP “Potpeć" were built.
1962 –TPP “Kosovo A” was put into operation.
1966 –HPP “Bajina Basta” was put into operation.
The Filed D was opened in Kolubara Basin, which was the largest open-cast mine at that time in the Balkans.
1967 – TPP “Kostolac A” was put into operation.
1969 – TPP “Morava” was put into operation.
1970 – TPP "Nikola Tesla A" was put into operation – it is the largest thermal power plant in the Balkans, and also the largest single producer of electric energy in the electric power system of Serbia
1970 – The operation of the hydro-power and navigation system (HEPS) “Đerdap 1” began. This is the largest hydro- technical facility on Danube River and the biggest producer of hydro- power in Southeast Europe. It was designed and constructed jointly with Romania, so that both countries have at their disposal the same, symmetrical parts of the main building, and its center line represents the state border.
1978 – PSP “Lisina” was built, with the function of pumping water from Lisinsko lake into Vlasinsko lake, which increased the production of HPP “Vlasinske” significantly.
1979 – HPP “Uvac” was put into operation, on the lake of the same name, at about 1000 meters above sea level.
1982 - Reversible Hydro Power Plant “Bajina Basta” was built, the genuine jewel of Serbian electric power system.
1983 – TPP “Nikola Tesla B” was put into operation. Two largest electric energy units in Serbia are in this plant.
TPP ”Kosovo B” was put into operation.
1985 – HPP “Đerdap 2”, the second joint Serbian and Romanian hydro power plant on Danube River, was put into operation.
1987 – TPP "Kostolac B" was built.
1990 - Hydro Power Plant “Pirot” was built, unique by the surge which was built without anchor stone blocks.
1991- Public Enterprise Electric Power Industry of Serbia was established.
1999 - During the NATO bombing, EPS electric power facilities suffered great damage.
2004 - After a thirteen-year pause, the electric power system of Serbia was again connected with the first UCTE synchronous zone.
2005 - the activities related to electric energy transmission were spun-off PE EPS and two independent public enterprises were formed: PE“ Electric Power Industry of Serbia“ and PE ''Elektromreža Srbije'' - Serbian Transmission System and Market Operator.
2006 - From 1 January, Electric Power Industry of Serbia was operating as a public enterprise with its 11 subsidiaries.