Thermal power plant in Dorćol, Belgrade, is the first public power plant in Serbia. It was put into operation on October 6th 1893 and this date represents the beginning of electrification in Serbia. Electricity was used to illuminate streets of the city and the homes of prominent citizens, and the town railway (trams) and rare industrial plants also ran on electricity. 65 arc lamps and 422 light bulbs were set up on the city streets.
Đorđe Stanojević (Negotin, 1854 - Paris, 1921) was a physics and mechanics professor at the College in Belgrade and he was most deserving of electrification in Serbia. He was a supporter of the electric instead of gas lighting. Owing to the inexhaustible energy and enthusiasm of Professor Stanojević, the following hydro power plants were built: "Pod gradom" in Užice, "Gamzigrad" near Zaječar and "Vučje" in the vicinity of Leskovac.
Coal production in Serbia started in Kostolac in 1870. Đorđe Vajfert was the most deserving person for the development of this mine and mining in Serbia. At the beginning of the 20th century, the Kostolac mine reached a 90 percent share in the total coal production in Serbia.
Hydro power plant "Pod gradom" on Đetinja River, in Užice, is the first power plant in Serbia that operated under Tesla’s principles of polyphase currents. The cornerstone of the power plant was personally laid by king Aleksandar Obrenović, and the power plant was put into operation on August 2nd 1900. Electricity generated by this power plant was used to power up the machines in weaving workshops and to illuminate the streets of Užice. This power plant is still in operation.
The first electric power transmission in Serbia was from HPP "Vučje" to Leskovac, via 17 kilometer long transmission line. The power plant started operating in 1903 for the needs of the famous weaving mills of "Serbian Manchester" and the lighting of the city of Leskovac. It is still in operation. Today, HPP "Vučje" is included in the program "Milesstone", which represents a list of the most important facilities and achievements in electrical engineering, and this makes it part of the world’s technical heritage.
HPP "Sveta Petka", named after the nearby church and monastery, was put into operation in 1908. The most famous state, political and public figures attended the ceremonial commissioning, and this important event was also recorded in the church books. It was the largest and most expensive power plant of that time in Serbia. This power plant is still in operation.
Hydro power plant "Gamzigrad" was put into operation in 1909. The first light bulbs shone on the town market, ceremonially and jubilantly. During the day, electricity was used for the needs of the oil and mill factory, and in the evenings for street lighting. Wealthy and respectable citizens of Zaječar soon began to enjoy all the benefits of electricity. This power plant is still in operation.
HPP "Moravica" was put into operation on St. Nikola’s Day, 19th December 1911. That evening, light bulbs shone on the streets, in taverns, in the municipal building and in some twenty private houses. Looking at Ivanjica from the nearby mountains, people would say: "Look at all the moons over Ivanjica!" This hydro power plant is still in operation. It is located in the city itself and is considered to be a tourist attraction in Ivanjica.
The first open cast mine in Serbia was opened in Kolubara in 1952. Inclusion of "Field A" in the regular production meant the beginning of large coal production momentum.
The mining sector in the Electric Power Industry of Serbia is the basic link in the electric power system functioning. Some 70 percent of the generated electricity in Serbia is obtained from thermal power plants and opencast coal mining from MB Kolubara and TPPs-OCMs Kostolac. Owing to the activities implemented for efficiency increase, introduction of modern technologies, through better organization and improvement of environmental protection measures, coal will continue to be the basic energy resource of Serbia for the electricity generation.
TPP "Nikola Tesla A", the largest thermal power plant in the Balkans and also the largest individual producer of electricity in the Serbian electric power system, was put into operation.
The “Đerdap 1” Hydropower and Navigation System has been entirely put into operation. It is the largest hydrotechnical building on the Danube and the largest producer of hydropower in Southeastern Europe. It was designed and built jointly with Romania, so that both countries have symmetrical parts of the main building, and its bisector represents the state border.
PS Lisina was built so that water from Lisinsko Lake can be pumped into Vlasinsko Lake. This helped Vlasinske HPPs generate more electricity.
HPP Uvac was put into operation.
Pump storage hydro power plant Bajina Bašta was built, a true gem of the Serbian electric power system.
TPP Nikola Tesla B was put into operation, with the two largest electric power units in Serbia.
Second joint Serbian-Romanian hydro power plant on the Danube - HPP Đerdap 2 - was put into operation.
Open cast mine Drmno was put into operation. Unit B1 within TPP Kostolac B was put into operation.
Hydro power plant Pirot was built.
Electric Power Industry of Serbia was founded as a public enterprise. Unit B2 within TPP Kostolac B was put into operation.
EPS power plants suffered enormous devastation during NATO bombing.
After 13 years of interruption, the Serbian power system was reconnected to the first UCTE synchronous zone.
The activity of electricity transmission was spun off from PE EPS and two independent public companies were formed: "Elektroprivreda Srbije" and "Elektromreža Srbije".
In the liberalized electricity market on high, medium and low voltage, EPS maintained its dominant position.
Under the Chinese credit arrangement, EPS and the Chinese company CMEC revitalized both units in TPP Kostolac B and agreed on the construction of the third unit with a capacity of 350 MW and the expansion of the Drmno mine from nine to 12 million tons of annual coal production. Catastrophic floods in Serbia have damaged EPS’s mining, production and distribution capacities. Successful remediation has attracted a great deal of attention, especially in the world’s mining sector.
Historical changes in EPS: first phase of the reorganization was completed, and the status changes enabled efficient and profitable company operation.
National Distribution Dispatch Center (NDDC) of the “EPS Distribution” for the management of the electricity distribution system has started operating in Novi Sad. This center has been modernizing the entire distribution management system in Serbia.
Improved coal transportation to the thermal power plant Nikola Tesla - an electric locomotive of the latest generation was procured for the TENT railway transport. Activities regarding the opening of the new mines in MB Kolubara have started: Fields E, G and Radljevo.
In 2020, electricity distribution was spun off from EPS, and Elektrodistribucija Srbije (EDS) operates as an independent company owned by the Government of the Republic of Serbia.
As of 13th April Elektroprivreda Srbije operates as a non-public joint stock company